Author Topic: Exchange money in Lassi?  (Read 1858 times)

KANDN

Exchange money in Lassi?
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:41:34 pm »
Hi everyone

Can anyone please help or advise??

My girlfriend and I are going on holiday to Kefalonia on 4th September  ;D and we are in 2 minds as to whether we should take Euro travellers cheques and then change the travellers cheques over there...or change all our money when we get there to get a better exchange rate?

Also if best to change money over there, is it better to take sterling travellers cheques or pound notes?

:-\
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:49:28 pm by KANDN »

bongo66

Re: Exchange money in Lassi?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:50:54 pm »
Hi Kandn,

We always take sterling travellers cheques and a bit of currency. I wouldn't go for the Euro cheques as you get a better rate of exchange with the Sterling.

Ali.x.

KANDN

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:29:17 pm »
Hi Ali

Thank you for the tip. Can you please tell me if the banks this end charge for sterling travellers cheques? Also would you know the current exchange rate in lassi and how much commission we will be charged.

Kelston and Nicole.

8)

BigUn

• YaBB God
  • Cheap Air Fare
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »
The Post Office charge 1.5% on Sterling Travellers Cheques, don't know if it is the same with the banks

I think that the exchange rate in Lassi is about 1.47.

You will probably find that most places in Lassi charge about 2%, rounded up to the next Euro
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not"

KANDN

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:30:44 pm »
Thank You Big Un

I am considering taking sterling cash seeing as we have a safety deposit box in out room. I was wondering do the local exchange places still charge commission when it comes to changing up sterling cash?

Also do the local exchanges prefer sterling Cash or sterling travellers cheques?

I'm very unsure which way to go to be honest, euro's cash changed here first, sterling cash and change it there or sterling travellers cheques and change them there.

There is of course my ATM card but seeing as it is not a nationwide one then I'll be charged for using that.

Which ever way i look I'm gonna be charged one way or another, i just want  to stretch my cash as far as i can.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Kelston and Nicole.

BigUn

• YaBB God
  • Cheap Air Fare
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:50:38 pm »
We took Euro Travellers Cheques one year, unintentionally and found that shops and restaraunts didn't want them.

Some didn't trust them and others were put off by the name American Express.

When we go for 2 weeks we normally take Sterling Travellers Cheques. If we only go out for a week, I always take about 100 Euros to get me started and take the rest in English notes and change them as we want them.

There is no ATM in Lassi but you can find several in Argostoli

KANDN

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:57:14 pm »
Do you still pay the 2% commission on sterling notes Big Un? Thank you for the advice on the Euro TC's i was not aware of that.

So in your opinion it would be safe to take 700 in cash without a worry of it going missing?

Kelston and Nicole.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:01:32 pm by KANDN »

BigUn

• YaBB God
  • Cheap Air Fare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:03:48 pm »
Yes, you still pay commission.

We have been 19 times and never had a problem, but you can never say never.

KANDN

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
Thank You for all your help Big Un.. WOW 19 times, i take you are rather fond of the place then?

This will be our first time and I'm already so excited i can't get to sleep. We have been wanting to go for a long time, so now can't wait.

Kelston and Nicole x

dewey

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 03:49:44 am »
Hi Kandn

We came back from Lassi on Thursday.  The exchange rate in Lassi was 1.45/1.46 for the two weeks we were there.  We took all sterling (cash) and you are charged 2% to change to euros.  This was still better than the exchange rate in the UK.

Have a lovely holiday, Kefalonia is truly a beautiful island!

KANDN

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 05:43:58 am »
Hiya michaels mum

Thank you for letting us know the rate you got last week . We managed to squeeze 1.435 e's to the pound out of first choice travel yesterday and a guarantee (which cost us 3 quid) that they will buy back at the same rate, all with no commission. So bearing in mind the 2% commission which is charged Kef end we decided to take them up on 1.435.

We would like to thank everybody very much for all the advice on money/exchange rate and the best way to go about it, you have all really helped us out.

Packing today leaving Tues  ;D

BigUn

• YaBB God
  • Cheap Air Fare
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 03:52:45 pm »
Hiya michaels mum

Thank you for letting us know the rate you got last week . We managed to squeeze 1.435 e's to the pound out of first choice travel yesterday and a guarantee (which cost us 3 quid) that they will buy back at the same rate, all with no commission. So bearing in mind the 2% commission which is charged Kef end we decided to take them up on 1.435.

Well done Kelston you have won a free Mythos.

500 at 1.435 = 717.5 euros

500 at 1.46  = 730 euros -15 euros commission rounded up = 715 euros.

Gain 2.5 euros = free mythos

Best I could find today was 1.4312 with Saga, who unlike The Post Office only charge 1% commission on Sterling Travellers Cheques.

I hope that both of you enjoy your holiday. I'm sure that you will.

KANDN

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 04:25:04 pm »
Cheers Big Un

K and N x

K

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 07:15:00 am »
Everywhere was taking 2 on every 100 converted; which worked out about the same as paying 1.5% for Sterling Cheques.

BigUn - you'd have had to add another 1 at the Olive Gardens in Lassi to get a 0.4l glass of Amstel! At 3 for a beer and 2.25 for a lolly they were certainly milking the fact they had a captive market stuck up on the hill!

K

traceym0605

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:56 am »
We use Lloyds TSB for travellers cheque - they don't charge even Sterling cheques. 

32 days to go and counting!!!

Tracey